The annual Waterford PPN Community and Voluntary Awards was held at a gala ceremony in The Park Hotel on November 21st 2019 with a packed house of over 240 people attending which included Mayor of Waterford City & County Council, Cllr. John Pratt, Waterford City & County Council, Elected representatives, sponsors, adjudicators, Secretariat/staff members of Waterford PPN and representatives from all nominated for this year’s awards.
Garrett Wyse of Waterford PPN opened the ceremony by welcoming everyone and thanked all the sponsors and adjudicators for which without their support the awards would not be possible. Following dinner Mayor of Waterford City & County Council, Cllr. John Pratt spoke highly of the communities in Waterford City and County and congratulated them on the work they do for their communities. WLRfms Mary O’ Neill & Oliver Carroll presented on the evening.
Des Whelan of WLR, friend and colleague of the late Billy McCarthy introduced and announced the worthy winner of the inaugural Billy McCarthy individual Volunteer award, Anne Cheasty from Tramore. Mayor of Waterford City & County Council Award winners were Dunhill Tourism Walking Trail who will represent Waterford in the 2020 Cooperation All Island Pride of Place Awards. A collection for The Irish Guide Dogs took place on the night and €1150 was raised.
Arts & Culture – Sponsored by BHP Insurance – Winners Waterford City Massed band
Community & Civic Pride – Sponsored by Local Link Waterford – Winners Mental Health & Suicide Prevention
Community & Social Enterprise – Sponsored by Waterford Local Enterprise Office – Winners: Tallow Landscaping Tidy Towns & Community Council
Environment – Sponsored by Waterford City & County Council – Winners: Dunhill Tourism Walking Trail
Healthy & Active Community – Sponsored by CareChoice – Winners: Dungarvan Boxing Club
Social Inclusion – Sponsored by Expressway – Winners: Surprise Surprise Dungarvan
Billy Mc Carthy Award – Sponsored by WLR – Winner: Anne Cheasty, Tramore
Brochure Sponsor – Dungarvan Credit Union
Special thanks to the sponsors, BHP Insurances, Local Link Waterford, Waterford Local Enterprise Office, CareChoice, Expressway, WLRfm and Waterford City & County Council. To the Adjudicators who had the unenviable task, Carlow PPN, Kilkenny PPN, Wexford PPN, Tipperary PPN, Leitrim PPN and Louth PPN.
Brochure was designed and printed by INKA Design & Print, Lismore, winners Trophies were made by IONA Crystal. For full photos of the ceremony please visit Waterford PPN Facebook
Announcement of nominees
The presentation of the Waterford PPN Community and Voluntary Awards sponsorship took place recently in City Hall, Waterford. Thanks to the all sponsors of the awards, without their generous continuous support the awards could not take place.
Now in its 15th year these awards recognise and reward the contribution made by the community & voluntary sector across Waterford. Congratulations to everyone who was nominated and best wishes to the shortlisted groups and those nominated for the Billy Mc Carthy Individual Volunteer Award. A huge thanks has to go out to our independent panel of adjudicators who had an unenviable task, but a very rewarding one and to Dungarvan Credit Union who sponsor the Awards Brochure.
The winners and runners up will be announced at the gala ceremony on November 21st in The Park Hotel, Dungarvan. Co-presented on the night by WLRs Oliver Carroll and Mary O’ Neill.
Billy Mc Carthy Award Nominations – Sponsored by WLR
- Ann Cheasty – Tramore
- Eddie Moore – Abbeyside
- Eleanor Halley – Dunmore East
- Mary Bagge – Portlaw
- Margaret Whelan – Kilmacthomas
- Maria Condon – Waterford
The shortlisted groups for each of the category awards are (in no particular order)
Arts & Culture – Sponsored by BHP Insurance
- Klub Muzik
- Mc Grath Clan Association
- Waterford City Massed Band
Community & Civic Pride – Sponsored by Local Link Waterford
- Foróige Blackwater Valley
- High Road Ballyduff Community Alert
- Mental Health and Suicide Prevention
Community/Social Enterprise – Sponsored by Waterford Local Enterprise Office
- Solas Cancer Support Centre
- Tallow Landscaping Tidy Towns & Community Council
- The Shona Project
Environment – Sponsored by Waterford City & County Council
- Comeragh Community Development Group
- Dunhill Tourism Walking Trail
- Tramore Eco Group
Healthy & Active Community – Sponsored by CareChoice
- Dungarvan Boxing Club
- Pauls Scout Group
- Waterford Nature Parkrun
Social Inclusion – Expressway
- Déise Womens Shed
- Surprise Surprise Dungarvan
- The Irish Pilgrimage Trust
Best of luck to you all
Now in its 15th year. The Waterford PPN Community & Voluntary awards were introduced to recognise and celebrate the commitment and vibrancy of the community and voluntary sector in Waterford and to identify the value of the contribution made by groups and individuals in their communities.
This scheme would not be possible if it wasn’t for the organisers Waterford PPN in association with Waterford City & County Council and all the corporate sponsors.
The categories and sponsors for the 2019 awards are:
- Arts & Culture – Sponsored by BHP Insurances
- Community & Civic Pride – Sponsored by Local Link Waterford
- Community/Social Enterprise – Sponsored by Waterford Local Enterprise Office
- Environment – Sponsored by Waterford City & County Council
- Healthy & Active Community – Sponsored by CareChoice
- Social Inclusion – Sponsored by Expressway
- Waterford City & County Mayors Award – Sponsored by Waterford City & County Council
- Waterford City & County Mayors Award – The winning group (Chosen from the winners of the 6 category awards) will represent Waterford in the 2020 All Island Pride of Place awards
Billy Mc Carthy Award – Outstanding Work by an Individual in the Community – Sponsored by WLRfm
- The awards are open to members and non-members of Waterford PPN
- Groups can be nominated or can nominate themselves
- A group can be eligible ONLY under one category.
- You cannot nominate yourself for the Individual award
- Winners from the 2017 & 2018 Awards are NOT eligible to apply for the 2019 Awards
Nominations will be shortlisted by independent adjudicators, looking in particular for:
- Contribution and positive impact of the group to the local/wider community
- How representative the group is in the local/wider community
- Level of voluntary involvement and participation
- Use of inclusive working methods
- Future benefit to the local/wider Community
**All nominations shall be assessed on the basis of the information provided. There will be a shortlist of three in each category. Shortlisted groups MUST be prepared to be available to make a promotional short video clip (at no cost to the group).**
Awards Gala Ceremony
The awards will be announced and presented at the gala dinner ceremony on Thursday 21st November in The Park Hotel, Dungarvan. Delegates from ALL nominated groups will be invited to attend the ceremony. The ceremony will be presented by WLRfms Oliver Carroll & Mary O’ Neill.
We would like to encourage all community and voluntary organisations to enter the scheme and look forward to meeting those groups at the Awards ceremony in November.
The Award scheme will close FRIDAY 27th September.
Award Nominations are now closed
Any queries please contact:
Muriel Tobin, Community & Voluntary Awards. Tel: 058-21198/086-1723298