The Joint Policing Committee is established under An Garda Siochana Act 2005, with the most recent Guidelines for operation of JPCs issued on 29th August 2014.
Joint Policing Committees operate in a manner that offers an opportunity to develop greater consultation, cooperation and accountability between An Garda Siochana, Local Authorities and elected local representatives, with the participation of the community and voluntary sector, on the management of policing and crime issues. Each of the partners involved in JPCs has its own distinct perspective and inputs to offer, along with its own responsibilities in ensuring that society’s needs are effectively met to maintain safe and secure communities.
Membership of the Waterford City & County Council Joint Policing Committee (effective 2014) consists of the following:
- 15 Local Authority Elected members (County Councillors)
- 6 Oireachtas Elected members (TDs and Senators)
- 2 Local Authority Officials
- 2 An Garda Siochana Representatives
- 7 Community Representatives
Local Authority Elected members: Cllr. John Carey, Chair, Cllr. James Tobin, Cllr. John O’Leary, Cllr. Jason Murphy, Cllr. Eddie Mulligan, Cllr. Mary Roche, Cllr. Cha O’Neill, Cllr. Joe Kelly, Cllr. Breda Brennan, Cllr. John Hearne, Cllr. Pat Fitzgerald, Cllr. Pat Nugent, Cllr. Declan Doocey, Cllr. Sean Power and Cllr. John Pratt.
Community Representatives (nominated by the PPN): Mr. Michael J. Walsh, Mr. John Devlin, Ms. Rosemary Kennedy, Ms. Breda Halligan, Mr. Criostoir O’ Faolain, Mr. Jay Collins and Mr. Donal Murphy.
Oireachtas Elected members: Mary Butler T.D., David Cullinane T.D., John Deasy T.D. John Halligan T.D., Senator Grace O’ Sullivan and Senator Paudie Coffey.
The Joint Policing Committee meeting dates for 2018 are as follows:
- Monday 10th April 2018 (5pm – 6.45pm) at Council Chamber, City Offices, The Mall, Waterford
- Monday 11th June 2018 (7pm – 8.45pm) at Council Chambers, Civic Offices, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford
- Monday 4th September 2018 (7pm – 8.45pm) at Large Room, City Offices, The Mall, Waterford. This is a public meeting.
- Monday 3rd December 2018 (5pm – 6.45pm) at Council Chambers, Civic Offices, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford
Matters for Discussion by JPCs
Any matter relating to the functions of a JPC may be discussed, however cognisance must be taken of the following matters as set out in the Act:
“matters relating to a specific criminal investigation or prosecution or matters relating to the security of the State.” (Section 36(4), Garda Síochána Act 2005)
JPCs may not discuss matters which may:
- Endanger security of individuals
- Relate to an individual
- Expose information received in confidence
- Prejudice crime prevention/detection
- Prejudice a Garda operation
Waterford City & County Council Joint Policing Committee Strategic Plan 2018-2023
Minutes of Meetings